This cabbage is so good, it lasts for ages so can be done in advance, and will sit perfectly with any Christmas table.
Serves plenty 8-10
- 1 red cabbage
- 100g sea salt
- 300ml cider vinegar
- 200g sugar
- 1 tsp Juniper berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 100g fatty bacon, diced
- Salt and pepper
- Slice the cabbage really thin (using a mandolin or food processor is best). In a bowl, add the salt and mix. Place in the fridge for 24 hours to cure.
- Remove from the fridge and you will notice the colour of the cabbage will have intensified and lots of purple liquid will have come out. Drain the cabbage and wash the salt off thoroughly. Drain again and set aside.
- In a large pan add the sugar, vinegar, juniper, bay, and bacon. Bring to the boil and add the cured cabbage. Stir and turn the heat down. Cover with a lid and gently cook for 1-2 hrs.
- Keep stirring from time to time so it doesn't catch on the bottom. Taste for seasoning, if it is a little sharp add a pinch of sugar.
- Will last in the fridge for 1 week.