The combination of white cabbage, carrot and shallot dripping in vinegary mayo is the stuff of horrors, but a homemade slaw is miles apart and a billion times better.
Serves 1 large salad
- 1 white cabbage thinly sliced (a mandolin gets it extra fine)
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise/creme fraiche
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar/lemon juice
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- Salt and pepper
- Mix all the veg together, and just before serving add the mayo and vinegar. Otherwise it will start to go sloppy and not so nice.