Our pasta frolla pastry recipe is an Italian, melt in the mouth, sweet, short pastry
If you don’t need 24 tarts worth you can always freeze the pastry for use later.
The perfect pastry for our salted caramel tarts recipe.
Serves (makes) 24 tarts
- 500g plain flour
- 1 egg & 2 yolks
- 120g caster sugar
- egg yolk for brushing on pastry cases
- 320g unsalted butter
- 4 inch tart tins, for 24 tarts
- Pre heat oven 200°C
- Either by hand or in a food processor, blitz all the dry ingredients until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- Pour this out onto a work surface and make a well in the centre, then add the egg and yolks into the well, using a dough scraper or your fingers, work the ingredients together until you have a well formed dough.
- Don't forget you can use this straight away as its a very robust pastry.
- Roll out pastry to roughly 1/4 cm thick cutout circles using the tins as templates. Remember to get the pastry into the corners and leave some hanging over the edge of the case.
- Fill with baking beans and put in the fridge/freezer for half an hour.
- Bake At 200° for 10 to 15 minutes until golden.
- Remove the baking beans and glaze with an egg yolk, return to the oven for 2 to 3 minutes to set.
- Remove and allowed to cool a little before filling.