A deliciously decadent raspberry coulis, chocolate and cream fool served with a Tudor-style biscuit.
Photo: Joe Sarah
- For the chocolate sauce:
- 200g good quality dark chocolate (we used Cadbury’s Bournville)
- 50ml double cream
- 50ml whole milk
- For the raspberry sauce:
- 200g raspberries
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- ½ fresh lemon juice
- For the Chantilly Cream:
- 400ml double cream
- Seed from 1 vanilla pod
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar
- Chopped mint
- Chopped hazelnuts to garnish
- For the Spiced biscuits (makes 20 biscuits)
- 125g butter softened
- 60g golden caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150g plain white flour 60g golden caster sugar
- A good pinch of ginger, cinnamon, freshly ground white pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 60g Golden caster sugar
- For the spice blend:
- 1 teaspoon ginger, cinnamon and white pepper mix together
- To garnish:
- Chopped hazelnuts
- Sprig of mint
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- For the biscuits: in a bowl mix softened butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg yolk, a pinch of white pepper, cinnamon, ginger, black pepper and vanilla extract.
- Sift in the flour and mix well.
- Shape the dough into an oval/round log, about 8-10cm long. Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Onto a clean surface, sprinkle golden caster sugar, a pinch of white pepper, ginger, cinnamon and roll in the sugar and spices. Slice 1cm thick rounds with a sharp knife.
- Bake on a non-stick or lined baking tray for 8 minutes until pale gold, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- For the raspberry sauce: combine the raspberry, icing sugar, lemon juice and blend until smooth. Put through a sieve to remove any pips.
- For the chocolate sauce: put all the ingredients into a thick-bottomed saucepan over a gentle heat and stir until melted.
- For the chantilly cream: in a bowl add the cream, chopped mint, icing sugar, seeds from the vanilla pod and whisk to soft peak. Add some of the raspberry and chocolate sauces and gently fold through.
- To assemble: layer whole fresh raspberry, the chocolate sauce, nuts, rippled cream and raspberry sauce. Repeat and finish with nuts, a sprig of mint and a biscuit.