Test the town – Mackerel Pitta Pockets
Pan Fried Mackerel with an Apple and Watercress salad and horseradish cream in mini pittas.
Photo: Joe Sarah
- 4 fresh mackerel fillets cut into large pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 20g butter
- 300ml of warm water
- 20ml tablespoon of olive oil
- For the Pitta bread
- 10g fresh yeast (or 5g dried yeast)
- 560g bread flour
- 10g sea salt
- For the salad
- 1 small local green and red apple, skin on, cut into thin slices
- Lemon juice, to taste
- 100g watercress, thick stalks removed
- extra virgin olive oil
- For the horseradish cream
- 60g creamed horseradish
- 60g mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of clotted cream
- ½ a juiced lemon
- To make the pitta breads: dissolve the yeast in the warm water and set aside for a few minutes.
- In a bowl, add flour and make a well in the center. Add the yeast and salt. Knead by hand for 5 minutes.
- Add the olive oil and continue to knead for ten minutes until all oil is absorbed.
- Shape the dough into a ball, cover, and place in a warm area to rise until doubled in volume for approximately 30 minutes.
- Take grape-sized pieces of dough and roll out on a floured surface to 3-5mm thick.
- Put a non-stick frying pan, over medium-high heat.
- Place one of the pitta rounds into the pan. Cover with a lid and leave for about 2-3 minutes, until puffed up.
- Flip over and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side. Some will puff more than others but don’t worry…
- For the salad: mix together the apple and watercress, add a squeeze of lemon juice and a good drizzle extra virgin olive oil. Season.
- For the horseradish: place all the ingredients in a bowl, whisk together, season and set aside.
- Season the mackerel. Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil with the butter in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. When hot, add the fillets skin-side down and cook for two minutes, until the skin is crisp and golden.
- Reduce the heat slightly, turn each fillet over and cook for a further minute, until just cooked through.
- Open the freshly made pitta breads, fill with your salad, add some crispy mackerel fillets and drizzle with the horseradish sauce.