This Devon egg recipe was made for Fabulous Baker Brothers, season 2 the Exmouth episode. A deliciously runny egg, wrapped in fresh salmon and crab, rolled in breadcrumbs and deep-fried until golden.
A great variation on our classic scotch egg recipe, this Devon egg recipe will be great on any summer picnic table.
If it’s a picnic you are having why not make our black pudding sausage roll recipe too.
We sell a great range of our bread and cakes online, these where add serious gravitas to any picnic with your family and friends.
You could make the breadcrumbs for this Devon egg recipe from our Sherston loaf.
Photo: Joe Sarah
- 4 free-range medium eggs
- 400g un-cooked salmon fillets, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon of chopped dill, parsley and tarragon
- 2 teaspoons of Tabasco
- Zest of two lemons
- 100g fresh crabmeat (white and brown)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For the coating
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- Splash of milk
- Pinch of salt
- 100g plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 150g white breadcrumbs
- 1 litre of oil for deep-frying
- Place four eggs in a pan of boiling water and boil for six minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the saucepan and place straight into a bowl of cold water, then peel.
- Meanwhile, place the salmon into a food processor and pulse briefly to a rough paste. Put in a bowl with the herbs, tabasco, lemon zest, crab, cream and season.
- In the palm of your hand, take a quarter of the salmon mix and flatten slightly. Add one egg in the middle and roll the salmon around it so it's completely covered. Repeat with the other eggs and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- For the coating, beat the remaining egg in a bowl with a splash of milk and a pinch of salt.
- Put the flour on one plate and the breadcrumbs on another. Take the prepared eggs from the fridge. Roll each one in the flour, then dip into the bowl of egg then roll in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed pan until a breadcrumb sizzles and turns brown when dropped in. Alternatively, use an electric deep-fat fryer heated to 190°C.
- Fry the Devon Eggs for 3 minutes or until crisp and golden-brown.
- Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.