Test the town – Cockney Crayfish
Lemon and chilli crayfish served in mini lettuce boats.
Photo: Joe Sarah
Serves 12 boats
- 4 little gem lettuces
- 400g handfuls of peeled, chopped Crayfish
- 3 tablespoons of crème fraiche
- a good pinch of smoked paprika
- a small bunch of dill
- A splash of good gin [we used Sipsmith]
- 4 shallots, finely sliced
- ½ a red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 punnet of cress
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for drizzling )
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pop a large frying pan over a medium-high heat add the olive oil, let it heat and chuck in the paprika, red chili, shallots and salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry for 3 minutes until the shallots are just golden. Add the crayfish and gin and cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until lovely and pink and warmed through.
- Carefully tip the warmed crayfish mixture into a bowl. Add the lemon juice, dill and cress. Give it a good mix and set aside while you get your little gems sorted.
- Carefully remove the leaves of the baby gem one by one until you have 12 firm, good-sized specimens. Divide the crayfish mixture equally between the leaves, sprinkle over the lemon zest and drizzle with a little olive oil. Serve immediately.