A grand and magical, fantastical masterpiece.
Photo: Joe Sarah
Serves 1 Cake
- For the red cake
- 225g unsalted butter room temperature
- 300g caster sugar
- 350g self-raising flour
- 5 eggs
- ¼ tsp salt
- 300ml milk
- 1 orange zest and juice
- 1tsp red good food colouring
- For the icing
- 275g unsalted butter softened
- 700g icing sugar
- 5 tsp boiling water
- 1tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ lemon juice squeezed
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- For the filling
- Popping candy
- Stick of Rock, smashed into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 170ºC/Gas Mark 3.
- For the cake: In your mixer on medium speed using the paddle attachment beat your butter and sugar till light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes. Add the eggs and beat until combined.
- In another bowl sift your flour and add your salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixer in three stages with a large metal spoon, folding as you go. Stir in the milk along with the zest and orange juice. Beat for 3 minutes.
- Divide your cake mixture into ¾ and ¼. Add the red food colouring into ¼ of the mix and fold through the other mix to create a marbled effect. Scrape the batter into your cake tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, till a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the tin for 15 minutes. Once cool, level off the base.
- For the butter cream: Beat the butter till light and fluffy, sift in the icing sugar, add vanilla and lemon juice.
- If the consistency is too thick, add the hot water and beat well.
- Cut the cake into thirds and spread over a thick layer of buttercream on to the bottom two layers. Add your rock and popping candy. Sandwich the layers together.
- Put the remaining icing on top of your cake using a pallet knife, sprinkle over the brown sugar and decorate with further candy twizzles, candy floss and flashing lights…or whatever you desire!