Our versatile fool proof custard recipe
- 300ml double cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 200ml whole milk
- 75g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- Put the milk and cream into a good quality heavy based saucepan.
- Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. Put both the seeds and the empty pod into the pan.
- Simmer gently for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile whisk the eggs & sugar together in a bowl.
- Bring the cream up to the boil & poor over the eggs. Whisking as you go.
- Return mixture to the pan & cook gently on the stove, always stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Keep checking for thickness on the back of the spoon.
- When the custard is nice & thick poor through a sieve into a clean bowl.
- Place a piece of grease proof paper on the surface to stop a skin forming.