Our delicious take on the classic Apple Pie Recipe. From Season 1, episode 6 of The Fabulous Baker Brothers.
We use a cinnamon stick to add another level of flavour in this old school favourite and use a recipe for lovely sweet pastry. Enjoy with custard, cream or cool ice cream. We like to have this Apple Pie on a sunday after a delicious Roast Chicken.
We have loads more delicious recipes available, and if you fancy doing a bit of baking yourself take a look at our online shop which has lots of great bits and pieces to make and bake with. Or just eat.
- 100g butter
- 6 Cox apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 100g soft brown sugar
- Granulated sugar, to sprinkle
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 6 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- For the sweet pastry
- 225g plain flour
- 110g cold butter, cubed
- Pinch of salt
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds only
- 100g icing sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- Splash of milk
- To make the pastry, rub together the flour, icing sugar and cold butter. Then add the egg yolks, salt, milk and the vanilla seeds. Mix it until it comes together, then chill in the fridge for 30 minutes before using.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas mark 5. In a large pan on a medium heat melt the butter until it starts to foam. Add the cinnamon stick, apples, sugar and the zest and juice of the lemon. Cook the apples on a low heat until they have softened a little but still have a good bit of bite, giving them a good stir to break some of them up a little. Allow to cool.
- Cut the pastry in half then roll each half out until it is about the thickness of a pound coin. Then use one sheet to line the bottom of a pie dish, fill with your cooled apple mixture and lay the other sheet over the top.
- Use your fingers to crimp and pinch around the outside to seal the pie. Sprinkle sugar over the top and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.