This toad in the hole recipe was from episode 5 (season 1) of The Fabulous Baker Brothers. The perfect comfort food, good pork sausages buried in Yorkshire pudding.
Is there really anything else to consider making with sausages?
All you baking will improve with our ultimate baking stone.
Fancy yourself as a bit of a butcher why not come on one of our butchery courses ands make your own sausages at the Hobbs House Bakery cookery school.
You could try making our black pudding sausage roll recipe too.
How about making your own sausages with our pork chipolatas recipe.
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 red onions, coarsely chopped
- 8 herby sausages (best quality you can get)
- Good handful of thyme
- For the batter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves chopped
- 200ml milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 115g plain flour
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6. Mix all the batter ingredients in a large mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper. Whisk out all the lumps until you're left with a double cream consistency. Set aside and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Put the oil into a roasting tray on the hob. Fry the sausages, onions and thyme until browned.
- Turn the heat right up so the fat is starting to smoke, then pour in your batter and quickly put the tray into the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until well risen and golden. Don’t open the door at any point even if you really want to just check, as it will let the heat out and the batter will drop and become soft and flat.