From episode 5 (season 1) of The Fabulous Baker Brothers.
This traditional shepherd’s pie recipe makes a cheap and hearty meal.
- Olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 750g good-quality lamb mince
- 500ml chicken or beef stock
- 2 tbsp tomato pureé
- 1kg Desiree potatoes
- 100ml milk
- Few rosemary sprigs, for decoration
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves only
- 2 large glasses of red wine
- Good splash of Worcestershire sauce
- Splash of sherry vinegar
- 50g butter
- 1 egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6. Heat some olive oil in a large pan and add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery and rosemary. Cook on a medium heat for about 10 minutes until sweet and soft.
- Add the lamb mince and cook until brown, then add the red wine and simmer down.
- Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce, tomato pureé and vinegar, season with salt and pepper and simmer down until almost all the liquid has disappeared.
- Meanwhile boil the potatoes until soft then drain and allow to steam dry in the colander for a few minutes. Melt the butter in a saucepan with the milk. Mash the potatoes until smooth then add the hot milk mixture, egg yolk and seasoning and beat until smooth.
- Put the lamb mixture into a deep casserole or pie dish and top with the mashed potato, pick off the little bits of rosemary and poke them into the top of the mash then place in the hot oven for 35-40 minutes.