From episode 4 (season 1) of The Fabulous Baker Brothers.
This is a rich steak pie that is best served with a mound of mash and some leafy greens. A perfect recipe for a Saturday evening in, save some wine to go with the pie.
- Good glug of olive oil
- 2 whole cloves garlic
- Good pinch of fresh thyme leaves
- 2 big pinches of plain flour
- 500ml good-quality beef stock
- 1 piece bone marrow (optional)
- Good pinch of salt
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 star anise
- 1kg beef chuck, shin or cheek, diced
- 2 big glasses red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon
- 500ml cold water
- For the pastry
- 125g beef suet
- 125ml cold milk
- 250g plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- To make the pastry, put the flour, suet and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Add the cold milk, mixing the dry ingredients together. Once it's all come together, wrap it up in cling film and chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes before using.
- Put the olive oil into a hot pan. Add the onions, garlic and star anise, stir then add the thyme. Fry the ingredients for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the beef, season well and allow to brown - don't be tempted to stir it. After 3 minutes or so turn the beef and let it brown on the other side. Then add the flour and stir it through, followed by the red wine.
- Boil the meat for a couple of minutes to burn off the alcohol and then add the beef stock and the water. Turn the heat down, put the lid on and let it simmer for 4 hours or until the beef is tender.
- When the mixture has cooked spoon it into a pie dish and allow it to cool down. Meanwhile preheat your oven to 190°C/gas mark 5. When the mixture is cool nestle the bone in the centre of the mixture, with the cut side facing upwards.
- Roll the pastry out to ¾cm thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut a cross in the middle to let the steam out. Brush the edge of the pie dish with egg wash so the pastry sticks and put the pastry over the top of the pie. Using a fork, crimp the edge of the pie and carefully cut the excess pastry off round the edges.
- Liberally brush the top of the pie with egg wash and put it into the oven for 40 minutes until golden.