So quick is this sticky sticks with chocolate sauce recipe to make, that you might start a habit that’s hard to break. Rolled in sugar and dunked into the chocolate sauce they are like a traditional Spanish deep fried Churros.
Tom Herbert, Fabulous Baker Brother used this recipe in Laos when he was working with Tearfund on their No Child Taken campaign.
Watch this Sticky Sticks with Chocolate sauce recipe from episode 1 (season 1) of The Fabulous Baker Brothers.
In the Fabulous Baker Brother’s first book this recipe is named Tom Long’s Dippy sticks after local landmark Tom long’s post in Minchinhampton.
- 400g water
- 130g self raising flour
- 130g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 20g granulated sugar
- 30 ml oil
- Vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
- Plenty of caster sugar (for rolling)
- Zest of an orange
- For the chocolate and stout dunking sauce
- 100g dark chocolate
- 10g sugar
- 100 ml double cream
- 50ml stout
- Small knob butter
- Pinch of salt
- In a pan, bring the water and oil to the boil. Mix the flours, salt and 20g sugar in a bowl, then slowly pour in the hot water mixture. Using a fork quickly mix the water in. You should have a stiff sticky dough, but don't overwork it.
- Heat the vegetable oil to 170°C in a fryer or heavy-based saucepan. Quickly with light hands roll the dough into longish sticks. Place a few at a time into the fryer. They should take about 3-5 minutes to cook until they are golden and crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle.
- Lift out of the oil, drain on kitchen paper. In a tray mix the orange zest with a good amount of caster sugar, then toss with the hot doughnuts to coat.
- For the sauce, place the ingredients in a small pan and heat gently. Stir until the butter and chocolate has melted and the sauce is smooth and glossy. Don't heat too much as the chocolate and cream will split. If you don't fancy stout then milk is an acceptable alternative.
- While the sauce is still warm dip the sticky sticks and devour.
- Cook's tip: CAUTION – Resist the temptation to eat the sticky sticks right away as the they will burn your mouth. Wait at least 30 seconds after they've been cooked and rolled in the sugar.