We always make our marefield breakfast recipe for any special occasion, birthdays, Christmas any family get together. We sometimes call it bacon porridge.
An old Baker Brothers family recipe that goes back generations – streaky bacon cooked until just crispy with tomatoes and oatmeal, served over freshly toasted bread and topped with a gorgeously runny poached egg.
Our marefield breakfast recipe is perfect on our toasted Sherston bread, you can buy it online.
Even better, make your own bread to serve it on, use our basic white dough recipe.
Come and learn to bake with us on one of our course at our Cookery School.
- 12 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 6 slices overnight bread, toasted and thickly buttered
- 6 eggs
- 150g pinhead or coarse oatmeal
- Tin of tomatoes
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 5 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over a medium heat then add the bacon and cook until just crispy and it’s released all the fat.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Add the oatmeal and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the parsley, mix well then cover, turn the heat off and leave for 10-15 minute. The oatmeal will swell and cook in the heat of the mixture – it should be like a thick risotto.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil, add the vinegar and crack the eggs into the pan a couple at a time and poach for 2-3 minutes until done to your liking. Remove and dunk into iced water until ready to serve. Drop back into the simmering water for 30 seconds to heat through, then drain onto kitchen paper.
- Serve the tomato mixture on the toasted bread with a poached egg on top.