The best hangover cure ever – a spicy Bloody Mary soup complete with a few extra ‘medicinal’ ingredients to give it a real kick.
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 300-400ml chicken or turkey stock
- 75ml dry sherry
- 4 tbsp chilli vodka (or lemon vodka or plain vodka)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch celery salt
- 1- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- Tabasco, to taste
- Heat a saucepan over a gentle heat, add the olive oil and onion and sweat for 15-20 minutes until really softened and slightly caramelised. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for another minute then add the chopped tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken stock, return to a simmer and cook for a few minutes.
- Pass the soup through a mouli legume or blitz in a food blender until smooth and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Add the honey, sherry, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce. Check the seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Heat the vodka in a ladle over the heat until it flames then pour carefully into the tomato soup and stir well to combine.
- Serve as you wish.