This is one of our most recent recipes from our Pre-School Cookery Classes, the kids loved getting messy with these chocolate and coconut and macaroons.
- 3 eggs whites
- 150g desiccated coconut
- 50g ground almonds
- 250g caster sugar
- 60g dark chocolate
- 1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC and line a couple of baking trays with baking or rice paper.
- 2. Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until they form soft peaks.
- 3. Fold in the coconut, almonds and sugar.
- 4. Take small handfuls of the mixture and roll into a ball, place on the prepared trays and then flatten slightly with your fingers.
- 5. Cook for about 15 minutes or until just golden around the edges. Leave to cool on the trays.
- 6. Melt the chocolate over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure that the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water to avoid the chocolate getting too hot.
- 7. Remove the cooled macaroons from their paper and place on another piece of baking paper.
- 8. Drizzle with the melted chocolate, allow the chocolate to set and enjoy!