This is one of our most recent recipes from our Pre-School Cookery Classes, the kids loved getting messy with these chocolate and coconut and macaroons.
3 eggs whites
150 g desiccated coconut
50 g ground almonds
250 g caster sugar
60 g dark chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC and line a couple of baking trays with baking or rice paper.
2. Whisk the egg whites in a clean bowl until they form soft peaks.
3. Fold in the coconut, almonds and sugar.
4. Take small handfuls of the mixture and roll into a ball, place on the prepared trays and then flatten slightly with your fingers.
5. Cook for about 15 minutes or until just golden around the edges. Leave to cool on the trays.
6. Melt the chocolate over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure that the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water to avoid the chocolate getting too hot.
7. Remove the cooled macaroons from their paper and place on another piece of baking paper.
8. Drizzle with the melted chocolate, allow the chocolate to set and enjoy!