100g softened unsalted butter
200g light soft brown sugar
100g discarded sourdough starter
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
200g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
200g chopped dark chocolate
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light.
3. Add the egg and mix well.
4. Add the sourdough starter and mix until incorporated along with the vanilla.
5. Fold in the flour and salt.
6. Finally fold in the chopped chocolate.
7. Using a dessertspoon, divide the mixture into 12 equal portions, roughly 70g each. With damp hands, gently roll them into a ball and place on the baking tray. Lightly flatten them with your hand. Leave some space between them, as the biscuits will spread a little in the oven.
8. Place into the pre-heated oven and bake for about 12 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before moving them onto a cooling rack.
10. They will keep for several days in an airtight container.
11. Variation; replace some of the chocolate with chopped walnuts or with salted peanuts, yum!