Our simnel cake recipe is a great Easter cake. Simply put a layer of marzipan in the middle and eleven faithful Apostle balls of marzipan on the top.
- Cake batter
- 125g soft butter
- 3 small organic eggs
- a big, three fingered pinch of baking powder
- a small pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 shot of brandy
- 125g organic soft brown sugar
- 170g white flour
- a big, three fingered pinch of mixed spice
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 150g Marzipan
- The fruit
- 125g sultanas
- 125g glace cherries
- the chopped peel of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 125g currants
- 250g marzipan
- 1 beaten egg
- Apricot jam
- Heat your oven to 150∘C, grease and line a 7” round cake tin.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until soft and fluffy.
- Slowly meld in the eggs by whipping at speed.
- Once the eggs are fully incorporated cast the next group of ingredients into the mix and beat thoroughly, so the batter you have is lumpless.
- Gradually stir in all the fruit.
- Pour half the mixture into the tin and level it off.
- Cover this with 150g of marzipan, rolled out to the width of a little finger and cut to fit the tin.
- Add the remaining cake mix on top. Smooth it down with a slight dip in the middle, allowing for the cake to rise.
- Bake the cake for an hour and a half, or until a skewer comes out clean when pushed into its centre.
- Remove the cake from its tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool, brush the cake with the apricot jam.
- Roll two thirds of the 250g of marzipan and cut to fit the top of the cake.
- Make eleven faithful apostle balls with the last of the marzipan and set them around the circumference of the cake.
- Paint with the beaten eggs then singe the top-most bits under the grill or with a blow torch.
- Serving suggestions: Eat on it’s own, with a cup of tea, or even with a slice of mild but tangy cheese. If you can’t eat it all at once this cake will last for ages.
Delivery & Returns
Covid-19 Update 03.04.2020
We are still baking and our online offering is open for business. Here are our delivery times:
||Cut Off Time
|Orders for Tuesday delivery
||Thursday 12pm midday
|Orders for Wednesday delivery
||Friday at 12pm midday
|Orders for Thursday delivery
||Sunday at 12pm midday
|Orders for Friday delivery
||Wednesday at 8am
Thank you for supporting our business and we hope you're all staying safe!
Deliveries & Ordering
View our Delivery & Ordering FAQ here.