The fastest loaf possible, put fresh baked bread on the table within half an hour,
Watch this video of Tom and Henry in the first series of the Fabulous Baker Brothers making soda bread and butter, in their soda bread recipe they make the butter first and then use the leftover buttermilk in the bread.
All your baking will improve with on of our ultimate baking stones and a dough scraper
At our Cookery School classes we always bake soda bread with our homemade pesto recipe. You can almost bake soda bread in the time it takes to make pesto!
Takes 5 minutes
Serves 1 loaf
- 300g wholemeal spelt flour
- A big pinch of sea salt
- 10g baking powder (2tsp)
- 230ml buttermilk or soured milk
- Flour for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 230°C/gas mark 8. Once you have your oven and baking stone heated (a baking sheet will do if you don't have a stone), and all your
ingredients and kit to hand, weigh the dry ingredients into the bowl and blend together.
- Add the buttermilk and, using your scraper, mix the ingredients together for about 2 minutes, checking there are no dry bits at the bottom. The moment all the ingredients have mixed together and you have a sticky dough, flour your work surface and tip the dough onto it. Then, cupping the dough between your floury hands, shape it into a round and place directly onto your baking stone.
- Using your scraper, cut a cross deeply into the dough and bake for 15-20 minutes, until your soda bread has a great golden crust and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.