We made this spiced chickpea soup with sourdough starter on Boxing Day using our turkey stock. It really benefits from a good meaty stock.
By adding some sourdough starter to this spiced chickpea and lentil soup the soup is thickened and has a great depth of flavour.
Of course this recipe is perfect served with any sourdough breads and you’ll need our 63 year old sourdough starter to make your own.
Have this spiced chickpea soup our St Martin sourdough bread that you can buy online.
If you own a jar of sourdough and are completely baffled by what to do with it come on one of our courses at our Cookery School or watch our Sourdough YouTube series.
- 2 onions diced
- Olive oil
- 200g chickpeas soaked overnight and cooked or 1 tin of chickpeas
- 150g lentils rinsed
- 500g tomatoes diced
- 4 celery stalks sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 1 litre of meat stock
- 1 cup of sourdough starter
- A generous seasoning of salt and pepper
- A handful of coriander and parsley roughly chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat a splash of oil and add the onions and a pinch of salt, cook until softening
- Add the chickpeas, lentils, tomatoes and celery
- Add the tomato puree and spices, cook for 5 minutes
- Next add the stock
- When the stock is hot through add 2 cupfuls to the sourdough starter
- When combined slowly add back into the soup
- When the vegetables and lentils are softened whizz the soup, add water to reach the desired consistency
- Add the chopped herbs and season to taste