- 680g strong white flour
- A big pinch of sea salt
- 70g organic golden caster sugar
- 80g soft butter
- 15g mixed spice
- 1 organic egg
- 270ml warm water
- 30g of fresh yeast (15g of dried)
- Crossing mix
- 100g strong white flour
- A pinch of salt and a pinch of sugar
- A knob of butter
- 100ml water
- The fruit
- 80g currants
- 80g sultanas
- The chopped zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- Bun wash
- 1 eggcup of boiling water
- 1 pinch of mixed spice
- 2tsp of sugar
- Grease and line a high sided baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Weigh all the dough ingredients into a big mixing bowl.
- Stir together with a firm hand and wooden spoon.
- Once the dough has come together turn onto a flat surface and knead for 15 minutes, until your dough is smooth and vital.
- Gently work in the fruit and zest.
- Nestle your well worked dough back into the big mixing bowl, cover and rest in a warm place until it has doubled in size, or for 30 minutes, whichever is first.
- After this, cut the dough in half, then divide and divide again until you have 16 equalish pieces.
- In the palm of your hand, firmly round the pieces so they stand pert on your baking tray, a fingers width between them.
- Again, cover the tin and leave in a toasty place until your buns have doubled in size: 30, 40, 50 minutes.
- Heat your oven to 210°C.
- Whisk together the piping mix ingredients in a jug, ensuring there are no lumps, and pour into a piping bag.
- Cross the buns by piping a lattice of the piping mix across the length and width of the tin.
- Bake the buns. The very moment they have golden tops and bottoms whip them out and brush with the bun wash. Around 12-15 minutes.
- Serving suggestions: Eat while still warm from the oven, smothered in butter and, if you please, jam.
Delivery & Returns
Covid-19 Update 03.04.2020
We are still baking and our online offering is open for business. Here are our delivery times:
||Cut Off Time
|Orders for Tuesday delivery
||Thursday 12pm midday
|Orders for Wednesday delivery
||Friday at 12pm midday
|Orders for Thursday delivery
||Sunday at 12pm midday
|Orders for Friday delivery
||Wednesday at 8am
Thank you for supporting our business and we hope you're all staying safe!
Deliveries & Ordering
View our Delivery & Ordering FAQ here.