Our traditional Easter biscuit recipe. It’s the addition of the unique oil of cassia that makes these biscuits unique.The distinctive aroma wafts around our shops in the weeks before Easter, tempting people in.
Enjoy our Easter biscuit with a good cup of tea or a strong coffee, shared with friends in the Spring sunshine.
We would recommend baking this Easter biscuit recipe on one of our baking stones to get a perfect crisp bake.
If you are baking for Easter you may like to make our Simnel Cake Recipe.
For Easter you can buy our Easter Biscuits and Hot Cross Buns online.
- 100g organic golden caster sugar
- 1 organic egg
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 80g currants
- 100g soft butter
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- tiny drop of oil of cassia or 1 tsp mixed spice
- Heat your oven to 200⁰C. Put greaseproof paper on a big baking tray.
- Beat the sugar and butter together until soft and fluffy.
- Add the egg and whip until fully incorporated.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder and spice.
- Gently mix the lot together whilst adding the milk, tweak your quota of milk to yield a roll-out-able dough.
- Lastly, knead in the currants.
- On a floured table, roll your dough to about 5mm thick.
- Stamp out your biscuits with a pretty cutter and lay on the tray.
- Bake until the edges just start to turn golden and they have the tiniest bit of colour underneath (about 12 minutes) and remove immediately.
- Sprinkle with caster sugar while still hot, then allow to cool.