This pitta bread recipe comes from episode 4 (season 1) of The Fabulous Baker Brothers as seen on Channel 4.
We made these homemade pitta breads to serve with our sweet and smoky pulled pork, you can’t beat this freshly baked bread and smoky meat combination.
You can use our classic white dough recipe to make pitta breads and other simple breads.
You really need to cook pittas on a baking stone to get them to rise up well, you can buy our ultimate baking stone.
Tom always makes pittas on his bread making course at our Hobbs House Cookery School.
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 560g strong white bread flour
- 2 good glugs of olive oil
- 300ml tepid water
- Pinch of salt
- Mix the dried yeast into the warm water and set to one side.
- Put the flour into a bowl, add the salt then mix in the yeasty solution. Add the olive oil and knead it all together until it is smooth and firm. Leave it to rise for half an hour.
- Once it's risen, cut the dough into 8, shape into balls and roll out on both sides. You need your oven at the hottest it will go – 240°C/gas mark 9, or higher if you can.
- Put the pittas onto a preheated heavy metal baking tray or a baking stone and pit them into the hot oven until they blister up - it will be around 2 minutes. Any longer and they'll start to burn.